view sourceprint?01 09 10

Pin It

123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Put a little Pledge on it...

Today was one of those days where I had to stop and think about how much I put my mother through when I was growing up. It was also one of those days that drives home the fact that despite all the times I have been angry at my mom and swore that I would never be like her, the inevitable has happened.

 I am my mother.

And that's okay. Because being a mom is TOUGH. And sometimes you just have to cry (and yell) and then hope that tomorrow will be a better day and that your kids will grow up to be decent human beings and rocket scientists and brain surgeons and that one day you will have grandchildren who love you and will never slam doors in your face or think that you are mean.

It was a Lemon Pledge day.

Yes, there are cleaning products that are better for the environment and smell like geranium lemon lavender pine verbena but for me, Lemon Pledge is a just little bit of faux lemon Heaven. It reminds me of my childhood and comforts me. I am by no means a neat freak. In fact, I'm kind of gross but I do love the instant gratification of dusting. It's soothing to polish the piano that was handed down to me by my mother or buff our rustic dining table that has glitter from long ago crafts permanently highlighting every crevice.

I really don't know how to explain it. It just makes me feel better.
 
 
See? I'm not the only one.
 
Now, I'm not saying it's as therapeutic as a glass of wine but when the shit hits the fan at 3:30 in the afternoon, it's a tad more respectable to dust than to get tanked. That can wait until 5:00 (give or take 30 minutes). And best of all, at around $4 a can, it's cheaper than a visit to the therapist.
 
I guess I'm just like the dad in My Big Fat Greek Wedding except I use Pledge instead of Windex and I'm not an old bald Greek man. But other than that, we're just alike!
 
Sometimes it's the small things that make me feel the best.
 
So now my glass of wine and I are off to dust. But first, I'm going to hug my two teens and call my mom and tell her I love her.


No comments:

Post a Comment